This page is specially for the parents, Moms and Dads and Guardians.
We have been teaching kids, teens, young adults and grownups for more than twenty years. I started my career as an English Teacher when I was 16 years old. What can a teenager can teach? He has no experience on teaching! So what I did was very simple. My classes were based in two things: 1. What I read on the Teacher’s Guide and 2: What I learned from a previews class I watched before my class with an older teacher to get tips from Teacher Barreto. One thing remains the same: Your kid MUST have a PURPOSE to learn anything. A answer to why he or she have to do that “boring English, Music, Math, History, Bible.. you name it” class? Why do I have to learn English if my parents only speak Spanish, Russian or Portuguese? Ok you can be one of those 2% of humankind that was born to speak “Latin”. 98% of the teenager population of the world DO NOT know what they want to do just because they don’t have to know! It’s not their problem. It’s their PARENTS problem!
I was the only family member that loved music after three generations. I was considered the “Freak” or the “Black Sheep” of my family and I didn’t know why until my mother tell me that her father, my grandfather, loved music. Somehow I got his genes and it was a great effort to play an instrument because music was considered a sin just because made you dance and it might lead you to a sinful life.
Sin is every were, it’s not only in music, because our nature is sinful, it’s inside us and only with the grace of Jesus we can use it for His glory.
That is where and when PARENTS have/must do something for their kids.. Here are some good tips:
1.Pray for them constantly;
2. Cheer for them. Even if they do something out of the ordinary. remember that your kid want your attention he/she will do what calls it, for good or bad all they want is you time and full attention, even if is for a few seconds, has to be 100% for them.
3. Listen them close.. Their needs, fears, limitations, strengths, how much pressure they put in themselves;
4. As a parent you MUST be there for your kid. If he or she do it good, celebrate! If they do bad (not as well as you expected), celebrate!
5. Every child has a timing. Don’t push or pull back. It’s a difficult balance, that’s why we need prayers. The Holly Spirit will guide you;
6. Do NEVER expect what you did with one kid will work with the other. Twins are different because each person is unique;
7. Don’t be afraid of making mistaches, remember this is the first time you have that experience, so we are “freshman’s” everyday just because every day is different; God is the only person that knows past, present and future.
8. Develop with your child what will make him/her do better what they like to do. This is called “Self Criticism”. It it’s good (gonna make you improve), keep it. If it’s bad (doesn’t make any good), trash it! My dad, he was a pastor, use to ask when he caught me listening to Led Zeppelin: “Is this glorifying God?” At the time I was sure that it wasn’t glorifying God.. but now I glorify God using the musical information I got from Led Zeppelin. This a good question. A parent asked if her daughter should listen to non Christian music. I asked back what she considered non Christian music.. She answered Lady Gaga’s music. I asked her if she could listen to Beethoven or Mozart’s music, she said that was no problem. Ok Beethoven and Mozart played non Christian music, is fact they were the “Rock’n roll” guys back on the 17 century. Ok but she came with a great argument: “Those songs there was no words”. This a very important point.. WORDS!! Classical music don’t have words. It’s Instrumental Music. You feel the vibration, the emotion but there is no message. So the most important thing on any music is: What is this song communicating! What are you getting from it! Is it inspiring you to do good things or bad things? So I go back to the “Self Criticism” we, as parents have to develop in our kids. We cannot forbid them to do, listen, play, speak, anything just because they are free. God created us FREE, with free will. Meaning free to make our own choices. You can say.. but my 7 year old son doesn’t know how to choose! This is the time that Mom and Dad have to be around to direct them. So everything starts very early while Mum is pregnant and the labor starts.. Spend time with you kid TOGETHER as family. Talking, laughing, crying, listening music, dancing, playing, praying, reading the bible, spending precious time TOGETHER. When they grow up and get to the age of making choices, they will listen to bad and good choices but I will assure you that he/she will NEVER trade you family for any drug dealer or Lady Gaga’s offered around. Lady Gaga will get oldfashioned but Gods words and promesses will never fail.
These are some Biblical verses to make sure I am sharing the truth.
2 Timothy 3:14-17
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Acts 5: 38b, 39
For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.
1st Thesalonians 5:18
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1st Corinthians 6:12
“I have the right to do anything,” you say —but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything” —but I will not be mastered by anything.